All devices or nodes are connected to each other using a hub which is usually connected to a server like in our school network.
Common mistake – the server does not connect to all the devices or nodes directly. The server is connected to the central hub or switch like all the other nodes.
- Secure – all data passes through the central hub/ switch
- Troubleshooting – fewer possible areas of fault.
- Extension – easy to add new workstations
- Collisions – Less/ no collisions
- Hub – if the central hub fails, the network will not work
- Cost – more cable required, expensive hub required.
- Complex – may require a network manager to maintain.